Monday, October 1, 2007

Specimen Days by Michael Cunningham

Michael Cunningham wrote The Hours. Specimen Days is his second book. Where The Hours highlighted Virginia Wolf, Specimen Days includes Walt Whitman. The novel takes place in New York City and covers three time periods. It has received excellent reviews. I bought my book today at Barnes and Noble. They have it in stock in paperback. I will be reading it through once for pleasure and then reading again for this blog. That should cover the month of October. November is for discussion, although comments along the way will be welcome.

6 comments:

  1. What I love most about Michael Cunningham is how we sort of puts you in an altered state of mind where poetry makes sense.

    Usually I need the aid of Cabernet Merlot for that to happen.

    I will be re-reading SD...for this..I also just bought my copy of leaves of grass....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. which should probably be read as a companion volume to this (the same way Mrs Dalloway was the companion volume to The Hours)

    ReplyDelete
  3. alrighty. i will see if i can get it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn: I am sorry to say, I have not read Cunningham or Whitman, so I am looking forward to this. I will take your suggestion and read Leaves of Grass, also.

    M: I'm glad you'll be joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I just checked out Speciman Days from the library. I guess I need to haul my butt back there and get some Walt Whitman. Actually, I had been thinking of reading Walt Whitman again anyway. I heard someone say on some radio show recently that Walt Whitman really only wrote one poem (same theme over and over again.) Not sure what that comment meant.

    Better get cracking on my reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. M: I think maybe they were referring to how Whitman kept editing Leaves of Grass. He continuously edited the original poems and he added poems to each new version of the same book.

    ReplyDelete